The right legal billing software can help take your legal practice to the highest levels of profitability and client satisfaction. So, when your legacy billing program fails to adequately deliver, don’t hesitate to make a much-needed change. So many attorneys continuously utilize ineffective, costly billing programs – just because they think it will be too much of a headache to make a switch. But that doesn’t have to be the case, especially if you choose wisely and work with a company that makes conversion and implementation a seamless process.
Choosing the right system
When determining which company is best equipped to handle your legal billing needs, you want to make sure that their billing software includes features that meet the specific needs of your law office. If you are converting from a legacy system, just make a list of all the things you do and don’t like about that software. Then use that list to review other billing systems on the market.
Some of the specific features you may want to consider include:
- Time tracking – A comprehensive billing system includes time tracking that is accurate and convenient for your attorneys and support staff. Options like the ability to run multiple timers simultaneously, budgeting, and customized abbreviations can be of great value to your office.
- Usability – What good is a legal billing software system that no one can figure out and use. Be sure to choose a system that is user-friendly and includes resources to help your staff get on board quickly.
- Reporting – Reporting capabilities allow you to keep a constant eye on case progress, as well as the overall performance of the firm. Look for a system that allows you to quickly and easily run these reports right from your computer.
- Trust Accounting – Trust accounting is a unique aspect of legal billing and adequate software provides the tools you need to handle trust accounting accurately and ethically. This is one of the major problems faced by attorneys who try to use accounting software, such as QuickBooks, to handle their law firm billing needs. These programs were not developed to handle the specific needs of a law firm, so trust accounting can become a problem you could have avoided with the right system.
- Mobility – We live in a mobile world and the legal profession is no different. Look for a billing system with true mobile capabilities that allow you to track your time from anywhere and anytime – even when there is no mobile connection available. Remember, systems that offer website tracking may not be truly mobile because they require a web connection to work. Look for software that works whether you have access to the internet or not.
Consult with your legal billing company about making the move
Once you have chosen TimeSolv for your legal billing needs – after all, it is the only system on the market that checks off all of the necessary features in a secure and cost-effective package – it is time to have a conversation about the conversion and implementation process. TimeSolv has a knowledgeable team that makes a conversion plan specifically tailored to the needs of your firm. They take the time to explain the process to you and ensure that you understand each and every task that will go into implementing your new TimeSolv billing system.
Follow the directions
Now, simply follow the directions given to you by your TimeSolv conversion team as they help you through every step of the process. There is no need for you to guess or worry at all. These specialists take an extremely thorough look at your current processes, so that each phase of conversion and implementation is well-planned and carried out in a manner that protects the sensitivity and security of your data.
The experts at TimeSolv will handle such tasks as:
- Data extraction from your old system and identification of conversion limitations
- Establishing the best conversion date from your old system to TimeSolv
- Obtaining the final data file from old system
- Uploading the data file into TimeSolv
- Ensuring for accuracy and identifying any issues for immediate correction
Learn how to use
Now that you have that your law office is fully converted to the TimeSolv billing system, it is time for you and your staff to learn how to use it. Again, no worries. TimeSolv has you covered with a level of customer service that is unmatched in the legal billing industry. Staff training is included in the conversion process. These folks understand how valuable time is within a law office, so they work to ensure that your staff is ready to utilize the system when it goes live.
TimeSolv also offers a comprehensive knowledge base on its website, providing free instructional articles and videos covering a wide range of topics and law firm tasks. Company representatives are also highly available by telephone or online to provide assistance – and if you need additional help, you can schedule virtual training sessions between staff members and knowledgeable TimeSolv professionals.
Start tracking and billing
Once the conversion process is complete, it is time to truly implement your new legal billing system by going live and actually putting it into practice. Your TimeSolv representative will let you know when everything is clear to go live, so there is no question about the availability of your existing data and the proper functioning of your billing system going forward.
Remember that your billing system only works if you use it, so make sure that your entire staff takes advantage of TimeSolv’s numerous features, so you can move your legal practice towards success and greater profits. Click here to learn more about TimeSolv’s data migration process and sign up for a free 90-day trial.
About Erika Winston:
Erika Winston is a freelance writer with a passion for law. Through her business, The Legal Writing Studio, she helps legal professionals deliver effective written messages. Erika is a regular contributor to TimeSolv and a variety of other publications.
Latest posts by Erika Winston (see all)
- Legal Rainmaking: Eight Steps for Managing your Legal Practice More Efficiently Using Legal Billing & Management Software - February 22, 2019
- 5 Most Popular Legal Accounting Software for Cutting-Edge Legal Firms - February 19, 2019
- Law Firm Tips: Four Tips for Improving Database Security within your Legal Practice - February 18, 2019